At Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, we take great pride in being able to help absolutely every single child in the Chicago area, including those who have mental, physical, or sensory special needs. If you have a special child at home in need of dental care, know that we’ll make any accommodations necessary so both they and you can have a pleasant trip to the dentist. Just give our dental office a call, explain your situation, and we’ll do everything we can so it’s nice and easy for your child to get the high-quality care they deserve.
Special Needs Dentistry – South Loop • Chicago, IL
Every Child is Welcome
Why Choose Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics for Special Needs Dentistry?
- Dr. Justin: board-certified pediatric dentist
- Warm, friendly, & compassionate team
- Sedation dentistry available
The Importance of Dental Care for Children with Special Needs
Children with special needs have a much higher risk of developing dental health problems for a multitude of reasons. Many have mobility issues that make brushing and flossing very difficult, while others may have a lot of dental phobia because the dental office is an unfamiliar place. This is why those with special needs are more likely to have cavities, lose their teeth early, and experience oral development problems.
We’re Ready to Serve Children with the Following Special Needs:
- Down Syndrome
- Processing disorders
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Bi-Polar Disorder
- Oppositional Defiance Disorder
- Blind/ visually impaired
- Deaf/limited hearing
- Sensory sensitivities
- And more…
How Sedation Dentistry Can Help
Dental sedation involves using safe and gentle methods to calm a nervous child so they’re able to receive dental care without experiencing stress, fear, or pain. We can use either nitrous oxide (better known as laughing gas) or even general anesthesiology for children who require more extensive procedures. We can discuss all of your child’s options when you give us a call so we can come up with the perfect plan. With our team, absolutely every child is able to get a healthy and happy smile.
Tips for Dental Care for Children with Special Needs
At Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, we won’t just provide your child with any clinical service they might need, but our team can help you put together a homecare plan as well so your child can learn how to look after their smile between appointments, drastically improving their oral health in the process. Here are some general suggestions to make it easier for both of you.
- Include daily oral care in their routine : Many children with intellectual and physical disabilities thrive when they have an established routine. Stick with brushing and flossing every day and make it a normal part of their schedule.
- Add in fluoride when advised : When your child is old enough or doesn’t gag as much, consider using a fluoride toothpaste or mouthwash to strengthen their tooth enamel against cavities. Before making the switch to fluoride products, be sure to discuss it with us first to confirm that your little one is ready.
- Start dental visits early : As soon as your child turns one year old, you should begin bringing them in for dental checkups, regardless of their intellectual or physical abilities. We are trained and know how to establish a trusting relationship, but it requires time and consistency, so don’t hesitate to start their dental visits early on in life!