At Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, we understand that life happens. Although most orthodontic treatments go smoothly and according to plan, you may run into some challenges or accidents. Fortunately, most orthodontic emergencies can be handled from home! Our knowledgeable staff is always happy to assist and answer your questions over the phone. However, should you run in to an emergency that requires professional attention, Dr. Dale, Dr. Amy and our team are here to help. If needed, we will likely be able to see you right away for a same-day appointment. When it comes to helping your orthodontic treatment stay on track in an orthodontic emergency, don’t hesitate to contact us right away!
Orthodontic Emergencies — Chicago, IL
Helping Your Orthodontic Treatment Stay On Track
Why Choose Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics for Emergency Orthodontic Care?
- We’re Just a Phone Call Away & Ready to Help!
- Same-Day Emergency Appointments Often Available
- Dental Insurance Welcome for Affordable Care
What to Do in an Orthodontic Emergency
If something goes amiss with your braces, aligners, or other orthodontic appliance, it’s easy to become alarmed. No matter what your situation looks like, we encourage you to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Call Our Office Right Away. If you’re concerned, in pain, or don’t know what to do, give our office a call. Our compassionate team is always just a phone call away! We’ll help you assess your situation over the phone, and we’ll likely be able to walk you through the steps necessary to get your smile back on track from the comfort of home. Typically, this might include using a saltwater rinse, orthodontic wax, over-the-counter pain relievers, or gently adjusting your braces.
- Step 2: See Your Chicago Emergency Orthodontist. If your situation can’t be handled at home, we’ll do everything we can to schedule you for a same-day appointment. When you arrive, we’ll take a closer look at your braces or aligners as well as your teeth and gums. From there, we’ll be able to gain a better understanding of what needs to be done.
- Step 3: Get the Fast Orthodontic Care You Need. In most cases, we’ll be able to address your orthodontic emergency right away here in our office. In some cases, we may need to have you return for a follow-up appointment, and in rare cases we may need to refer you to your general dentist to treat an underlying issue.
The Most Common Orthodontic Emergencies
If you run into trouble with your orthodontic treatment, we encourage you to give us a call. Even if you’re not sure whether your situation qualifies as an emergency, we are more than happy to help. Most orthodontic emergencies can be handled at home with the guidance of one of our team members. Over the phone, we’ll help you assess your situation and walk you through what you need to do to get your treatment back on track. Below are some examples of orthodontic emergencies and how you can handle them.
How to Prevent Orthodontic Emergencies
In some cases, orthodontic emergencies are not preventable. However, many times they are! Here are some steps you can take to avoid problems during your orthodontic treatment:
- Brush and floss every day.
- Attend your appointments with Dr. Dale or Dr. Amy and with your regular dentist.
- Wear a mouthguard when playing sports where contact can happen.
- Follow the dietary and care instructions Dr. Dale gives you.