Is your child feeling a lot of dental pain? Don’t know whether you should go to the dentist or rush to the ER? To get the immediate attention and fast relief they deserve, you only really need to do one thing: call Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics. Our team is able to handle any tooth-related emergency you can imagine in-house, and unlike your local ER, we won’t leave you waiting for hours for treatment. Contact us as soon as you can, and we’ll schedule an appointment so we can help your little one right away.
Emergency Pediatric Dentist — SOUTH LOOP • CHICAGO, IL
Urgent Dental Care Without the Wait
Why Choose Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics for Emergency Pediatric Dental Care?
- 3 Board-certified pediatric dentists on staff
- Kind, friendly, & highly-skilled team
- Same-day emergency appointments available
What to Do in a Dental Emergency
No matter what type of dental emergency your child is facing, you need to stay calm and act quickly. Remember, if you panic, so will your child! Do your best to stay calm as you follow these steps:
- Step 1: Call us as soon as you can! The sooner you call us, the sooner we can schedule you for a same-day emergency appointment. One of our experienced team members will walk you through basic first aid for managing your child’s dental emergency until you can reach us.
- Step 2: When you arrive, your South Loop emergency pediatric dentist will see your child right away. We’ll evaluate their condition while providing any necessary pain relief. Then, we will review our findings with you and create a treatment plan that works best for your family.
- Step 3:Get your child the care they need! Once you’ve agreed to a treatment plan, we will get to work right away. Whether your child needs a filling, a tooth extraction, or something else entirely, their comfort and well-being will always be our top priorities.
The Most Common Pediatric Dental Emergencies
Children can encounter a wide variety of dental emergencies. We trust your instincts as a parent, so if you’re concerned about your little one’s smile, don’t hesitate to give us a call! Whether your child is dealing with a toothache or a knocked-out tooth, the best thing to do is seek out professional care as soon as possible. This will enable our team to reduce any damage to your child’s smile and relieve their pain as quickly as we can. Here are some of the most common children’s dental emergencies we treat and important information about how to handle them.
For Children, Teens, & Adults
Poking wire? Loose bracket? Broken aligner? Sore teeth and gums? If you’re having any issues with your orthodontic treatment, don’t hesitate to give Dr. Dale or Dr. Amy a call. Our team will give you helpful first-aid tips over the phone, and if necessary, we can schedule an appointment to see you right away and fix your problem. Please note that a little oral tenderness is normal after getting braces put on/adjusted, but if this discomfort lasts for a week or more, be sure to contact us!
Understanding the Cost of Pediatric Dental Emergencies
Because there are so many types of dental emergencies, there isn’t a fixed cost for urgent dental care. Our treatment recommendations will be based solely on your child’s particular situation. Some children just need a small filling, while others might require a few teeth to be removed. Our primary goals will be to get your child out of pain and then repair any damage to their smile. For concerns about large out-of-pocket costs, flexible financing is always available.
How to Prevent Pediatric Dental Emergencies
- No matter their age or level of play, make sure your child wears a protective mouthguard every time they participate in sports (whether the game involves contact or not!).
- Don’t let your child chew on things like ice, popcorn kernels, rock candy, pens, pencils, etc…
- Don’t allow your child to use their teeth to open stubborn packaging or remove tags from clothing.
- Make sure they brush and floss every day to keep their teeth strong and free of decay.
- Have them attend checkups and cleanings every six months so we can catch a small problem before it becomes an emergency later!
Children’s Dental Emergency FAQs
As a parent, you place your child’s safety and wellness above everything else, but it can be difficult to know what’s best in the moment. If you have questions, you’re not the only one, which is why we’re answering some of the most commonly asked questions here. We hope our responses help you know how to proceed and make the right decision for your child. If you still aren’t sure, feel free to give our office a call or request an appointment. We’ll be happy to help you and your little one however we can!
Why shouldn’t I take my child to the ER for a dental emergency?
In addition to having a long waiting time, the ER or even urgent care personnel likely don’t have the training or equipment to properly diagnose or treat a dental emergency. At most, they can prescribe pain medication or antibiotics, but ultimately, you’ll still need to visit with a dentist to resolve the issue. It’s smarter, faster, and more cost effective to turn directly to us at Chicago Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics for your child’s treatment.
Will my dental insurance cover dental emergencies?
Your coverage greatly depends on your insurance plan. After we diagnose the root cause of the problem, we can go through the financial part in greater detail with you, but rest assured that our team will look for ways to maximize your benefits and will happily work with you to make treatment affordable within your budget.
Can root canals be performed on baby teeth?
Essentially, yes. Baby teeth tend to be thinner than permanent teeth, but they still have the same three layers: enamel, dentin, and pulp. When a baby tooth becomes infected or in danger of being infected, we may need to perform pulp therapy, or root canal therapy, to remove the sensitive pulp interior before it causes your child excessive pain.